edit of june 2019: some of the pictures had been gone. I’ve replaced them.
Copied from the Mantic Forum:
I want to preserve my tutorial “how to multibase” as it helps out newer players a lot. This is a post from summer ’18 which I copied over from the Mantic forums which are (probably) going offline. soon.
Why a tutorial?
Both on here and IRL I’ve had some questions how to make a decent multibase without too much effort.
I’m not the best painter (some of the stuff on this site of the site puts me to shame) but my multibases usually look decent, especially from a general’s view/table top standard. I wanted to make a tutorial as to to help other people out.
This is the end result:
It’s a horde of spearmen in the process of deploying from marching colum (the elevated area in the back) to fighting deployment. I’m quite happy with the end result.
One regiment of miniatures and a bit of plasticard. I bought my miniatures from ebay (as I did most of this army) which is why they are painted just okay-ish.
Bear in mind that the 20 models here don’t meet MMC, so I needed to paint a few more.
Here they are. Don’t mind the bases, they’ll be gone swiftly!
and of course I need a banner, luckly I got one in the same ebay purchase. I painted a new one, but liked that one so much that I promoted him to ASB. (he’s the guy on the left in the first picture. Sometimes things happen like that. – great stuff)
The making of the multibase
Models finished, now we can start with the actual multibase!
Usually, I spend about a quarter of the time building a regiment on the multibase. The rest is spent on assembling and painting the individual miniatures.
First of all; cut the plasticard into the required base. I wanted to (be able to) split the horde into two regiments, so I cut it into half. The small strip is glued on the back to create a bit of elevation on the base.
The next thing I did was creating the elevation by just cutting the elevated areas out of cardboard. I used two layers of cardboard as my to-go height, but in hindsight, the base would have shown better with four or five layers. Such is the process of creating something; at the end one knows exactly what could have been done different!
Glueing everything into place creates the raw layout of the multibase. Doesn’t really look like anything yet, does it?
It’s during this part of the process that I have to press myself to finish it; if I leave this unfinished for a few weeks, it likely won’t finish ever. Fortunately, the next step is easy.
Using regular split gravel (found alongside roads; in gardens or in any gardening shop) rocks are created. For this army I’ve used split gravel a lot and I must say it works wonders. I glued it into place with PVA glue.
As you can see, I also smoothed the edges of the cardboard using PVA glue and sand. This trick will be used quite a few times later on.
Now is the time to let it dry overnight as the glue needs a few hours to harden. As this stage shows progress, picking it up again from here is really easy for me.
-Just take some time to sleep, spend time with family, do some work, etc while waiting for the glue to dry out. Should take no more than a day, tops.-
The next step (after it has dried properly) is coating the whole base liberally in PVA glue and sand. I do it in three stages; leaving it to dry in between.
Turning the base on one side and glueing/sanding the opposite side allows the sides too to dry well. As PVA glue has a tendency to settle a bit, this prevents spillover PVA glue next to the base. as you can see, at the end of the process, no part of the base is not covered in sand.
The final layer is quite thick so this too needs a night to dry well.
As it’s nearly done now; time to slab on some paint!
I undercoated the base with dark brown (Valejo black brown) thinned down with water. The gravel I just painted with watered down black ink. (I mean, it’s rocks depicting rocks. I just wanted the creases/shadows to show a bit more)
Next step: drybrushing with Goblin green. Note this drybrushing is completely different than edge-highlighting on your models as the goal of this process is to create a grassy-like substance. Use an old drybrush, since drybrushing large areas of sharp edges wears them out quickly. I use an old tank brush for this.
Note that I highlighted the rocks with cold grey and the wood with leather brown.
Now it’s easy; just glue the minis on it
I started with the marching column on the elevated area. Just after the minis (not on the picture) I also glued some grass there and there to make an even more natural ambiance.
The final minis are in place and also the grass. Finished!
a few closeups:
Done! I’m pretty content with the final result. Hopefully this serves as inspiration for those who have been wanting to do a multibase, but don;t know where to start.
Now onto a new project! My red-and-white army is finished now as all of my ebay purchases for this army have been multibased. Frankly, I;m a bit done with painting more humans (mostly because they keep disappointing me during battles) so I’m going to try something different alltogehter.